Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Kefir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDL
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Kefir Reply with quote

This is a culture (like yoghurt) that originated in Turkey. Unlike yoghurt however, it has alot more beneficial bacteria and keeps for a lifetime. It's hard to get hold of the culture (known as kefir grains). I had to buy it over the net. Others are fortunate enough to have it given to them.

Basically the grains grow in milk for 12-16 hours, the milk (kefir) is strained away, leaving the grains. The kefir is drunk and it tastes like yoghurt, though not as sour. The grains are then used again with a new batch of milk added.

Wanted to know if anyone else has tried kefir or is drinking kefir on a regular basis. Do you have any recipes to share on what you do to the kefir or the grains?

I've just started, so don't have grains to give away, but if anyone is interested, I should have some to give away in a months' time (Wouldn't mind a packet of low fat milk as a token). PM me if keen.
vegiemite
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I given up a couple of years back. Too much work for the effort.

At one stage, I had so much culture making the drink really sour.

I used the excess culture (wrapped in muslin) in the shower. My skin benefited from it ... smooth and glowing.

I have also used it as replacement for yogurt.

Ange
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: