Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Peanut Soup(recipe)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Peanut Soup(recipe) Reply with quote

Ingredients:
300 g raw peanuts
500 ml rich chicken stock(get recipe from kid's meals)
200 ml water
salt to taste

Method:
1. Wash peanuts. set aside.
2. In a large pot, add chicken stock and water to boil.
3. Add peanuts to cook.
4. Simmer over low heat for 45 to 50 mins.
5. Add salt to taste.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
LILYNG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: peanut soup sweet Reply with quote

gina

do you know how to make this sweet where the peanut is so soft that it melts in the mouth. i have used pressure cooker and many types of peanuts, still does not get the softness
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilyng

I believed its in the peanuts itself. Once Benny bought a pack of peanuts and I cooked it the usual normal way. The soup is bland in taste. The peanuts is still hard and a bit bitter.

The next time I went to the shop and ask the shop owner. The lady told me that I must get the rounded type of peanuts. the other type: long ones are use for non soup dishes.

I think its the ShanDong Peanuts(the longer beans) that you cannot use for making soups.

Here is the ones I used for soup:

LILYNG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: peanut soup Reply with quote

gina

even the peanuts in your photo will not soften until it melts in the mouth. you will have to look for the very small and with whiter skin, that's what the grocery man told me. the red skin are more flavorful when fried or toasted. the peanuts sold here in denver are all meant for frying and believe me or not the ingredients here don't taste the same. how darken i roast the peanuts, they are still not tasty
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilyng

you are in Denver now? about peanuts, I cook it till its soft..not melt in the mouth type of softness.

Could you update your profile to state your location? so others can know where in the world you are.

LILYNG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: UPDATE LOCATION Reply with quote

I JUST DID IT A MOMENT AGO

SORRY FOR MISSING OUT ON THAT PART
wink
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilyng, Gina is right, I will normally have 2 types of peanuts at home, one for soup and another for fried. For soup, to have really soft nuts it's the timing of cooking. I don't cook it in the pressure cooker as I find the soup to be too diluted. Before we usually setup charcoal and I'll start cooking my soup from morning till 4pm but not anymore now for the mess and inconvenience. Now, I will cook it for about 3 hrs on my gas stove. Some mother's tales will ask you to put in a porcelain spoon to soften it at a faster pace.
LILYNG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: PEANUT SOUP Reply with quote

THANKS for all the tips.

i hope you gals from singapore and malaysia can visit Muar and there is a stall which open after 3.00 pm and it has this peanut sweet soup that melts in the mouth. it has been 4 years since i left malaysia, so i hope the stall is still operating. i have heard that they might have used 'pang sah' to marinate, it was only a guess
singapore gal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make a similar peanut soup but instead of chicken stock, I use plain water and will add chicken feet to flavour the soup and I will add red dates too and simmer over medium-low heat for 3-4 hours. For chicken feet lovers, you get yummy, soft chicken feet and soup.
Joy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum and MIL add one clove of unpeeled garlic, red dates and wolfberries for a stronger taste. That's what I do too. Razz
chan_valerie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use pork rib instead of chicken stock? do I need to soak the peanut? I tried to cook the peanuts for hours but it doesn't go soft.
Like to cook
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Valerie, yes you can use pork ribs instead. Did you use the right type of peanuts ? You have to buy the rounded type (Gina mentioned it in the post, see above).

jc
chan_valerie
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JC!!!

Yes, I did......
Christinatan
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Valerie,

This is what i do. I use a small pot and fill it with a little water just enough to cover the peanuts. Leave it to boil and add in some more water as it dries out. At the end of 1/2 - 3/4 hour, the peanuts will turn soft. Check the softness desired and you can use the peanuts for your peanut soup. I used this method for my glutinous rice peanuts as well.

Christina
geri06
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, I used the type of peanuts u showed in the picture above but still get a bitter aftertaste... What should I do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Soups All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: