Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Buddha Jumps Over the Wall Soup(recipe/pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Buddha Jumps Over the Wall Soup(recipe/pic) Reply with quote

The traditional way cooked in restaurants takes 2 to 3 days, I heard. This is my so called cheated version which took only 8 hours instead of 2 days.

Serves 4 persons
Ingredients
1 litre rich chicken stock
1 whole chicken(about 1 kg)
10 pcs dried scallops
10 pcs dried abalone
200g Chinese Cured Ham
10 pcs preserved chinese mushrooms
salt to taste
chinese rice wine(to taste)
coriander leaves for garnishing

Method
1. Cut off chicken legs, neck and head.Wash inside out.
2. Blanch in hot water for 3 to 5 mins. Discard the water.
3. Put 500ml of chicken stock into a large claypot to boil.
4. Add dried scallops, abalone, ham, mushrooms to simmer over low heat for 6 hours(I used a portable hot plate for this).
5. Check the water level and refill bit by bit with the remaining chicken stock.
6. After 6 hours, add chicken and simmer for another 1 hour.
7. Add salt and wine to taste.
8. Serve hot on its own or with rice.

Note
I didn't add the full works of the ingredients for this superior soup. This is just a mild version of the real thing.

The original ingredients include the following:

Fish Maw
Sea Cucumbers
Duck
Pork bones
Pork meat
Sharksfin
Bamboo Shoot

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, I'm thinking of cooking this for CNY. Can we cook this on the night before? Coz I'm having it during lunch.

For abalone, where you get yours? How big/heavy is each one? And just put it in after washing? I'm totally lost when it comes to dried abalone.

What is Chinese Cured Ham? Is it Jing Hua Huo Tui? Can omit this?

Preserved chinese mushrooms are those dried mushrooms?

Can use Shaoxing wine instead of rice wine?

If I want to add sharksfins, do I add it in the beginning with the rest of the ingredients and roughly how much? Do we buy dried ones and soak them till soft before adding in?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wai Fun

see my answers in dark red.

Can we cook this on the night before? Coz I'm having it during lunch.
yes...I would leave it in the slow cooker over night. keep it warm.

For abalone, where you get yours? How big/heavy is each one? And just put it in after washing? I'm totally lost when it comes to dried abalone.
If you use canned ones, just add that last. don't throw away the brine(liquid in the can) Add that to the soup to cook too.
If you use dried ones, must soak in water for at least 1 day. Then cook with the soup to soften it. See the photo..on the spoon, that's dried abalone after its cooked for a long time.

What is Chinese Cured Ham? Is it Jing Hua Huo Tui? Can omit this?
Yes..if you can, add it. Because it really enhances the flavour of the soup if you do not have abalone(fresh or dried). You can get Jing Hua Huo Tui at Chinatown or Yue Hwa Departmental store.

Preserved chinese mushrooms are those dried mushrooms?
yes

Can use Shaoxing wine instead of rice wine?
Yes. But if you can, use a good Shao xing wine. If not, XO also can.

If I want to add sharksfins, do I add it in the beginning with the rest of the ingredients and roughly how much? Do we buy dried ones and soak them till soft before adding in?
These days you can buy the pre soaked ones from Supermarkets or even at Chinatown shops. That day when I took the ladies out to Chinatown, we saw a few market stalls selling soften sharksfin in boxes. I also took them to Smith Street to visit some shops to see where to get sharksfin.

if you want to soak dried ones..good luck to you. You must soak for 1 to 2 days, clean, wash, pick at it.

When the soup is finally cooked, then add the sharksfin in. Do not add during the cooking process or it will melt!

kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina! I'll be cooking for 7 adults and 6 kids! I really doubt my slow cooker is big enough especially after adding in all the ingredients.

I'll probably use the canned abalone. Are they softer if cooked longer or the other way round? I'm thinking of using the small abalones so that each can at least have one. grin
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wai Fun

canned ones are cooked already. and its very soft. no need to cook long with it. just warm it is good enough.

Canned abalones usually have 2 in a can. 1 big, 1 small. unless you get those small ones..must ask the shop owner about that.

Sharksfin..if you get the pre soaked ones..just briefly blanch it in hot water..not soak in hot water.

when the soup is cooked, just add 1 to 2 tbsp of sharksfin into the bowl, pour soup over it.

kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, if I use canned abalone, I actually no need to cook the soup for 8 hrs right?

Thinking of cooking the stock first, then cook the soup with the actual ingredients for about 4-5 hrs. I'll probably be just adding some pork ribs (instead of chicken), herbs, small canned abalone and mushrooms in the first cook. The last hr then add in the rest.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wai Fun

yes you are right. I had to cook so long because the abalone I used was dried.

Here's the picture of the dried abalone. This is a gift from one KC member who lives in HK.. Smile love

kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...these look like those "abalone side" (Bao Yu Bian) that I buy to boil soup. I thought you use the whole dried ones!

OK, in that case I'll probably cut down to just 4 hrs, then I can "jaga" the soup in the morning. I saw from a little stall, they add Diascorea Yam (Huai Shan), Lycium berries (Gou Qi Zi) & Dang Shen too.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wai Fun

whole abalones costs a bomb. and takes forever to soften in water and will take very long to cook. If I want to do that, I would rather soak sea cucumbers..talking about that..have to start soaking mine this week or else no time for CNY!

don't add too many herbs into the soup. dang shen is very strong flavour. When you drink this soup, you wanna taste the seafood flavour, dang shen will over power everything.

I love it 'naked' without any other things. Just a good superior stock.

kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok, will follow your advice. Probably just add the Gou Qi Zi, coz I like the sweetness.

My mum also soak her own sea cucumber. I'll be using those for this soup and some to braise mushroom with Fa Choy *yum yum*. The soaking/cleaning process is very tedious, but definitely better than those soaked outside.
cook4me
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gina,

gosh i haven't had this since I was a youngster, the restaurant versions i remember tasted slightly bitter from the ginseng and although it was never thickened with starch there was always a slightly sticky substance to it from the dissolved aspic/gelatin from the meat broth (much like the soup inside xiao long bao).

did you try making this in a pressure cooker? it would seem to lend itself well although you would probably need to boil the raw meats and bones in advance into a broth and skim like crazy since i find that the blood and marrow tends to coagulate and cloud the soup.

what's the benefit of diy-soaking sea cucumbers vs. buying them pre-processed in the grocery store? i haven't had sea cucumbers in quite a few years and have developed a real hankering for them.

by the way for those of us in the west, where jing hua ham is banned, spanish dry cured ham (jamon serrano) taste EXACTLY like jing hua ham. on the other hand, even though it looks similar, prosciutto di parma ham from italy does not cook well, and falls apart and smells rancid when cooked. this may have something to do with the salt content.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cook4me wrote:
gina,

gosh i haven't had this since I was a youngster, the restaurant versions i remember tasted slightly bitter from the ginseng and although it was never thickened with starch there was always a slightly sticky substance to it from the dissolved aspic/gelatin from the meat broth (much like the soup inside xiao long bao).

did you try making this in a pressure cooker? it would seem to lend itself well although you would probably need to boil the raw meats and bones in advance into a broth and skim like crazy since i find that the blood and marrow tends to coagulate and cloud the soup.

what's the benefit of diy-soaking sea cucumbers vs. buying them pre-processed in the grocery store? i haven't had sea cucumbers in quite a few years and have developed a real hankering for them.

by the way for those of us in the west, where jing hua ham is banned, spanish dry cured ham (jamon serrano) taste EXACTLY like jing hua ham. on the other hand, even though it looks similar, prosciutto di parma ham from italy does not cook well, and falls apart and smells rancid when cooked. this may have something to do with the salt content.

cook4me

I saw this on TV. There was a program about food and its history. That was years ago when i was still a teen! I just watch it with my mom.

They showed on TV how this elaborate soup was cooked. A whole duck was use, pork bones and big slabs of pork meat, an old hen too. the stock was cook in a giant claypot. It look more like a dragon urn to me! grin then the cook will slowly skimp the surface at the top.

I don't have a pressure cooker. I wanted to get one, my mom told me not to. As she has one and I can always borrow it. But to-date, I have never borrow it. Its very big, bulky and not safe when you have young inquisitive hands poking their fingers in the house! sad

Sea cucumbers, well, I learn over time that the pre soaked ones are the lowest grade quality and unsoaked ones, you can choose and buy the best. The difference is obvious : Price, texture of the final product and how it could withstand long periods of cooking.

Store bought ones will melt and disappear into soup in high fire and 30 mins. So you have watch the stove, or watch the fire.

The best quality ones remains slighty chewy, gooey and extremely soft yet it is able to hold its size and will not break into pieces when you fish it out from the pot.

just for reference and info, presoaked ones costs S$5 for 200g. Dried sea cucumbers sells by grams or kilo and different grades have different prices.

To cook for a family of 10 persons for CNY, my mother in law would spend S$300 just to buy the biggest sea cucumber she could find. Its about 3 to 4 pieces only.

I want to do this traditional recipe of dried sea cucumbers this month. And will show the step by step process of soaking it, etc. and finally cooking it.

Hopefully to show the final dish in 2 weeks time. But I can only do this after my china trip..coz no one to take photos, no one to watch over my fish tank of dried sea cucumbers.

kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom hoards dried whole abalones and shark fins. Smile love She is willing to part some to me to cook Buddha Jump over the wall. How do I cook whole abalones until they are soft.

Siew Mun
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siew mun

you are so BLESSED. the problem with our mothers is that they hoard all the dried stuff. and when you visit them, open their drawers, they have all these black stuff in several packs and half the time, I don't know what it is..!

Dried abalone need to be soak in water for at least 2 to 3 days. change the water every day. until its soft not hard. Then best to cook this in a slow cooker for 8 hours or more.

I have done this once..3 years ago when I was given a box of dried abalones. Its a lot of waiting time. I cook mine in a slow cooker, setting the temp to LOW HEAT and leave it to cook for 12 hours. The end result is a very soft, supple texture and heavenly..!

err..when you inviting me to your place for soup? island yummy

kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very Happy . I understand from what I gather to make a 'restaurant' quality Buddha Jumps Over the wall. I need make a really good broth. I have been experimenting on creating the right clean, clear, crisp and savory broth. From what I can see is that I'll need.

1 whole duck and 10-15 duck feet
1 Pork leg including the upper part of the meat
1 whole Chicken, 10-15 chicken feet
Some Hunan Ham

I will omit the Chinese herbs as my dad & mom finds them too overpowering.

The usual techniques of broth making. Unfortunately, I do not have an urn to make the broth. I will use my large stock pot.

Please let me know what items other items I need making the broth.

Sure I will invite you over for dinner when I master this recipe. cheers
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwansm wrote:
Thanks. Very Happy . I understand from what I gather to make a 'restaurant' quality Buddha Jumps Over the wall. I need make a really good broth. I have been experimenting on creating the right clean, clear, crisp and savory broth. From what I can see is that I'll need.

1 whole duck and 10-15 duck feet
1 Pork leg including the upper part of the meat
1 whole Chicken, 10-15 chicken feet
Some Hunan Ham

Wow! That's a lot of stuff you're throwing into the broth. I was just thinking of putting in 4 chicken skinless breast (with the bones), some pork ribs, some abalone edge and dried scallops. Don't know how the stock will turn out to be.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siew mun

don't forget the good grades of dried scallops. Since you are putting dried abalones, that's good enough already.

don't forget to take photos to show off grin

cook4me
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gina et al.

wow $200 USD for just a few pieces of sea cucumber is exorbitant! by the way, i've seen live sea cucumbers at the beach but having googled this, it is simply not worth the effort to dress the live ones. i think the pre-soaked ones may suffer from the chemicals that they use to speed up the process.

you know i think a nice thread on how to differentiate between grades of dried scallops or abalone or sea cucumber would be great. all i can tell is the obvious size differences.

if anyone ends up making this please do post the pictures so that rest of us can enjoy. by the way, if anyone needs it, i have the amy beh mini fat thiu cheong recipe that I can pm. this should have the proper chinese herbal doses. cheers
fash
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddha Jumps Over the Wall Soup(recipe/pic) Reply with quote

on second thought, i guess i will have to settle for 'Monk sitting besides the wall'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Soups All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: