Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Ginseng Chicken Soup (pix & recipe)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yangone
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Ginseng Chicken Soup (pix & recipe) Reply with quote

A very nourishing soup to give you instant perk up !

This is actually a Korean style ginseng soup. But myself being a chinese, I added ginger and garlic to the soup.

Ingredients
(for 3 pax)

1/2 chicken bones
3 drumsticks
4 pcs of Ginseng
4 Red dates (halved)
2 slices of ginger
1 smashed garlic
salt
pepper
soya sauce
chopped spring onions

1. Rub drumsticks with salt.

2. Blanched the chicken bones and drumsticks with boiling water to get rid of blood & scum

3. Boil pot with water. Add garlic, ginger, ginseng, red dates and chicken bones to boil over stove for 6 hours to bring out the ginseng taste. You can cut down boiling time using a pressure cooker.

4. Remove bones and sieve residue to obtain clear soup, leaving the red dates and ginseng.

5. Add drumstick to the clear chicken stock and boil for another 30mins.

6. Dash some pepper and soya sauce to taste.

7. Serve in individual stainless steel cook pot or bowl and garnish with spring onions. Serve piping hot with plain rice.
windy
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these ginseng easily available? what are they called? how much for one? thanks.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windy

I have seen them in Supermarkets before. was at Cold Storage Compass Point yesterday. And sold in one packet..found in the section where preserved and dried foodstuff are(mushrooms, dried fungus, sago pearls, dried shrimps, etc)

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
yangone
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got them from a medical hall. Depending on packaging and grade, the price can be from $10 to thousands of dollars.

Different countries will produce different type of ginseng. This has probably be the different climate and soil condition.

Korea is well-known for their 6-year ginseng (tai-ji seng) and "gao-li seng" (red ginseng, harvested after 3 years is the very "heaty" type).

China produce "bai-seng" (white ginseng) and America do also produce ginseng, known as "yang-seng" and "pao-seng"

Each different type of ginseng have their own different properties.
zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: ginseng Reply with quote

Yangong, you know quite a bit on ginseng. Very few people knows about tai-ji -seng. Can you tell me more about it? Do you know of any way to reduce the heatiness of korean ginseng during cooking? Very Happy
yangone
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisey, my knowledge of ginseng is limited to just those. Embarassed

The Korean Ginseng refers to 2 different kinds of ginseng - the tai-ji-seng and gao-li seng.

And only Korea produces those 2 types. I went to Korea for tour and they will surely bring you to the Ginseng shop to look and buy their ginseng. And the tour guide will also bring you to a place to drink their Korean Chicken Ginseng soup. The tai-ji-seng is considered neutral and nutritious, but price is very expensive (most ex in Korea).

Some herbs can be used to balance the up the heatiness in the soup. That one I'm not exactly sure. Probably, herbs like "gan-chao" ? My hubby does request me to boil ginseng (from northern china, cheaper - also only cooler climate can produce ginseng) soup once a week, he personally finds it a booster for his tiredness (but oh well, sometimes I just too lazy to do it). Smile
bear
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: ginseng Reply with quote

As far as I am aware there are four types of ginseng or mandrake as it used to be known Hydrocotile Asiatica Minor was the old name it now goes by,Panax Quinquefolius ( American Ginseng),Panax Ginseng (Korean Ginseng)(also Red Chinese Ginseng) and Eleutherococcus senticosus (Siberian Ginseng), Galangal and Ginger are related.
As usual the pedant is on his soap box. :lol:
zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Ginseng Reply with quote

I bought the tai-ji-seng from Korea. When we were there I remembered they said can keep for 5 years. But now I look at the packing, there's a date there which I do not know if it is an expiry date. Anyone knows how long can ginseng be kept? Thanks.
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought the ginseng powder and the honey ginseng from Jeju Island in Korea last Jan. A bit greedy or an act of impulse, and now trying to sell them off to friends at a discounted price. see stars I had managed to sell one tin of ginseng powder to my friend. loving u

Yes, there is a expiry date at the small tin(inside a big tin which does not show any expiry dates). I knew it when I opened the big tin in Malaysia. The Korean lady who sold them told us that the shelf life can be extended to another 2 years if you put them in the fridge.
zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindi wrote:
I also bought the ginseng powder and the honey ginseng from Jeju Island in Korea last Jan. A bit greedy or an act of impulse, and now trying to sell them off to friends at a discounted price. see stars I had managed to sell one tin of ginseng powder to my friend. loving u

Yes, there is a expiry date at the small tin(inside a big tin which does not show any expiry dates). I knew it when I opened the big tin in Malaysia. The Korean lady who sold them told us that the shelf life can be extended to another 2 years if you put them in the fridge.

Sigh. Now I know. Bought on impulse too. Wasted so much money. Tks for the info.
May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. This is my first time boiling soup so I have some questions...Sorry if they sound silly though...Hope you dont mind.

1. When you say 'Blanched the chicken bones and drumsticks with boiling water to get rid of blood & scum', does it mean that I have to boil the water first with the chicken bones & drumsticks in it to remove the blood & scum and then throw the water away?

2. And when you say 'Boil pot with water', may I know how much water must I use approximately if I'm boiling for 6 pax?

Hope that someone can help me. I'm planning to try this soup on Monday.

Thanks...

Regards...May island
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May,

my answers for your Q:

1. Yes. boil water. then add whatever. then junk the water, keep the stuff.

2. How much water to put depends on how many people you are feeding. This is how I do my calculations
1 person is 1 bowl (300ml)
so to make for 6 persons, it will be 6 x 300ml which will be around 1800ml. I always add extra 1 person's portion making it 2000 litres more.

Depending on how the soup is cooked, water evaporates more. So you must take that into consideration.

1. Slow cooker tends to make the soup very rich, thick and does not evaporate so much. So you can add less water.

2. Cooking over the stove will evaporate faster, so you may need to watch the pot over time, adding water part by part(300ml each time)

3. Cooking in a claypot over a fire stove retains most of the water, similar to Slow cooker style. So less water is needed.

are u more confused? so how? see stars love u

May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Gina, not really confused. But more like 'Aiyohhh so many things to take into consideration to boil soup wan ahh'...hahaha..

I'll be cooking the soup over the stove so looks like I'll need mum to help me watch for the fire then...Anyway thanks alot Gina.

Regards...May
May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya also, I noticed that there are so many types of Ginseng around. May I know which type of Ginseng to buy? I dont want it to be too heaty. Heard that some ginseng can be heaty..Is this true?

Regards...May
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea on ginseng either. When you buy from chinese medicinal shops, just ask them. For me, i will say I want the 'liang' version to cook soup type..then they will take the right one for me. grin

May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thank you thank you Gina. Appreciate for all your help.

Now I can head off to get some ginseng..heheh..

Regards..May grin
May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the recipe says 4 pieces, may I know how big is the ginseng piece suppose to be? Is it just a small piece or a big one, like the one in the picture?

Sorry if my question sounds silly though...

Regards...May island
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May

the ginseng used in this recipe comes in pretty standard sizes. Sorry, I don't hve one now to measure or weigh for it.

just use 4 like Elaine suggested.

May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks Gina.

Regards..May
yuleng10
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Correct me if I am wrong. From what I know Tai Ji Sheng is considered cooling as the ginsengs are left to grow naturally without the addition of other supplements to the soil. This is the reason as to why it is more expensive, as it grows much slower and is in limited amount. Therefore, Tai Ji Sheng is considered highly prized, and is not exported out of Korea.

As for Gao li Seng, these ginsengs are grown with the supplements of other herbs added to the soil. These herbs can be Dan Gui, ginsengs etc. Therefore, they usually grow much faster and are plentiful. Due to the addition of other herbs to the soil, Gao Li Send is usually considered heaty.
cinderella
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ladies,
I have a question. Do I have to use a porcelain double boiler pot (pic below) to cook ginseng chicken soup? Or just the normal stainless steel pot will do? I never boil soup before so kindly pardon me. Thks. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Soups All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: