Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chicken Seaweed Rolls(recipe and pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Easy Finger Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Chicken Seaweed Rolls(recipe and pic) Reply with quote

Trying this after hearing from a chef friend that this is easy to do at home. It was easy indeed.

Ingredients:
2 pcs of Nori seaweeds
200g chicken thigh meat(without skin)

3 tbsp white sesame seeds(for coating)

Marinating sauce:
1 tbsp Thai Fish sauce
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground white pepper

Method:
1. Diced chicken meat.
2. Add marinating sauce to marinate for 10 mins.
3. Cut seaweed into long strips of 2cm width.
4. Add 1 tbsp of chicken filling on one end of the seaweed
5. Roll up to seal it.
6. Dip each side of roll with sesame seeds.
7. Grill in preheated oven 190C for 15 mins.

Notes:
My friend told me that I could use any kind of marinating sauce for this. This includes Teriyaki sauce. Its best to use chicken thigh meat. And this can be deep fried or grilled.

I hope to try this using Jewel's Teriyaki chicken sauce too coffee Razz

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
rachelokh
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow look so professional yet seem so easy to do. and i love seaweed! i must try it! Thanks gina
ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm looks so tempting...but can i ask a very silly question... since i hv not tried using seaweed sheet before Embarassed How do you seal the end of the roll? Is it with water or cornstarch mixture??? Embarassed
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovebaking

just wet it with water..just tap your finger in water and it will seal properly.

ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tks Gina for your advice. wl try out this weekend and all of you know the outcome....... :lol:
ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I made the chicken seaweed rolls this morning... and have encounter the following problem:

1. I marinated the chicken fillets with terriyaki sauce for grill, some sesame oil and hua teow wine yesterday afternoon. The chicken is so fragrant. But after I grill it, and tasted it, the roll is abit bitter and the meat is tasteless. I guess all the juicy part has flown out and stuck onto the tray. How do I prevent this from happening?

2. How to prevent the seaweed from getting burnt? Do we have to oil the seaweed roll before sending to grill?

3. I am using the baby belling at home and for grill function, I have no. 1 to 6. Any idea which number I should set onto.

I would appreciate it if someone could assist me Embarassed

Tks & Rgds
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovebaking wrote:
Hi

I made the chicken seaweed rolls this morning... and have encounter the following problem:

1. I marinated the chicken fillets with terriyaki sauce for grill, some sesame oil and hua teow wine yesterday afternoon. The chicken is so fragrant. But after I grill it, and tasted it, the roll is abit bitter and the meat is tasteless. I guess all the juicy part has flown out and stuck onto the tray. How do I prevent this from happening?

2. How to prevent the seaweed from getting burnt? Do we have to oil the seaweed roll before sending to grill?

3. I am using the baby belling at home and for grill function, I have no. 1 to 6. Any idea which number I should set onto.

I would appreciate it if someone could assist me Embarassed

Tks & Rgds

The cornstarch in the marinating steps helps to seal the sauce with the chicken. it may drip some outside the roll..but it shouldn't make the chicken tastless.

Getting burnt? Mine was just nice. Didn't burn at all. My friend told me that i can buy those for snack type of seaweed to use..then no need to cut into strips. But I prefer not to as those for snacking often had extra soya sauce on it.

But I want to try the one from Korea..the seaweed is more crispy and some brands have Wasabi on it.

coffee

ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

Could it be because I use fillet instead of thigh? I find the meat is also very tough... i am not too sure if I over-grill it or not???

How about the question on grilling in belling??? I intend to try again tonight...

I bought the nori for wrapping sushi... so i think it is the right wrapper??

Appreciate your earlier response and forthcoming ones too.....
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oohh..Fillet!! fillet is very tough after grilling. Fillet is meant for steaming or cooking in soup for a short time. then it can be tender.

Baby Belling..dunno how to use leh..! island

about the seaweed, i use this from CS.

I tried using this brand(NTUC) for the Sushi Bread(recipe by Cete) and found the seaweed very soft..and tears easily when I tried to cut it.

the one from CS seems to be better

ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no wonder lah... mine instead chicken roll become chicken hamtan bola roll :lol:

anyway one last question. can we use the marinated chicken straightaway from the fridge to wrap the roll or must let it rest or thaw for awhile first... sorry i am a very lousy cook :roll:

so thank you for your kind advice.....
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovebaking

yes dear..can use from fridge. unless you have it inside the freezer and its so hard like rock, then need to thaw first.

don't say that...I started off as hopelessly cannot cook, then slowly to can cook, then to now..cook everything and no chance to eat out. That's why so suaku.. Embarassed

mugicha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovebaking,

if you are using fillet, I would suggest you deep fry the seaweed rolls. fillet cooks very fast and can be very tender. but not as tasty as thigh meat cos there's no fats in the meat. if you find it tasteless then maybe next time add mroe seasoning? you might be using a different brand to what is used in the recipe, hence different level of saltiness?

as for cooking straight from fridge. actually It is recommended to let it 'warm up' a little first before exposing it to high heat (frying or grilling or baking) if not the meat will become quite tensed up being suddenly exposed to extreme heat difference.

this is one of my fav food.. but I usually deep fry it. (meat doesn't absorb much oil anyway)

happy seaweed chicken rolling.
ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tks for the advice. aiya i don't really like fried food... making the kitchen too oily :roll: i'll try again......
ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone :o

well with this happy smile... u will know i've successfully made the roll...yippeeeee

it turns out so yummy and you are right Gina... not much juice ooze out...my mother in law tastes it and said very good too...

tks for your advice.. bravooooooo :lol:
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
But I want to try the one from Korea..the seaweed is more crispy and some brands have Wasabi on it.

coffee

You should try, it's really nice but some may be a bit salty ;)

Zu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Easy Finger Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: