Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Easy crispy oven baked chicken wings (recipe & pic)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zu,

I tried this recipe because everyone gave it such good reviews and also the pictures just made me drool! Anyhow, it didn't turn out as well for me :cry: It was too dry and too overdone. And it did need more salt. I won't give up though and I will try again. Maybe brine the chicken before I cook it next time.

Here's my picture:

Cheers, Annie
________
discuss vaporizers

Last edited by greengem on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
teddysdp

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:cry: I tried to make this dish today for my dinner tonight... It was a flop... I guessed is because the chicken is skinless... Therefore it did not turned out well... Was rather disappointed with the end result... But I will try again... This time with chicken skin...
mycoffee
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing so many raves about this recipe, of course "die-die, must try" la. :lol:

I enjoyed this very much especially if taken with sweet chili sauce. Ate 3 in one go. And more so knowing that it is so much more "healthier" than regular fried chicken wings. But I have so much leftover seasoning. Next time, I think I will halve the recipe for 7-8 chicken wings. Maybe adding additional spices will also make it more interesting.
Thanks Zu, for this recipe!
________
CRF250X

Last edited by mycoffee on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chicken wings were still white after baking for 20 minutes at 200C. So, changed it to Oven Convection + Grill at 230C. After 10 mins+, some parts starting to turn light brown as the chicken oil starts to surface but still have large area of white part. Since my sons were bugging me "mom, it is taking forever...." I decided to take the wings out, spread some butter on those white parts, sent it into the oven for baking. It turned out very nice!

Thanks.

Rgds, Connie
yvette
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zu & Gina. The chicken wings taste great.

sherlane
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Prawn Paste Chicken Wings Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Zu

I tried this just now for lunch. Here is my photo. I also modified your recipe by adding 100g Rice Flour.

After its grilled/baked, the wings look like its been deep fried..so different from yours.

see my step by step pictures..!

Mixed the flours

Add chicken wings to coat

place wings on the wire rack

I've added water below ..so it will easier to clean/wash the tray later.

I also didn't pat dry the wings. After washing it, I just dump them into the flour mix to coat.

Can I use the same method for "Prawn Paste Chicken Wings"? Do I have to use plain flour instead of corn flour? I would love to bake it instead of frying and healthier too. Please advice.
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it tonight... and I did like Gina... added some rice flour... and more spices.

Because I use big chicken parts it took about 70 minutes to get it crisp.
But all in all the dinner was delicious.

In the picture with Purplegirl's Oven Fries

cindylimsk
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asking whether if anyone think it would be possible to substitute the chicken wing with pork ribs?? Give me your opinions. THX :lol:
noelle
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chicken wings are real yummy and best of all, they're not cooked in oil, so more healthy!! :lol: Many thanks to Zu for the recipe!

Sarah!
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teddysdp wrote:
:cry: I tried to make this dish today for my dinner tonight... It was a flop... I guessed is because the chicken is skinless... Therefore it did not turned out well... Was rather disappointed with the end result... But I will try again... This time with chicken skin...

I think it didn't work because the skin is the important part in this recipe. When you coat the chicken with flour and put into the oven, the skin releases loads of oil which will combine with the flour to give you a crispy and fried texture.

Therefore, as for the pork ribs, I don't think it will work as well since there won't be as much fat as the chicken wing.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu, I want to say thanks again for this recipe. This time I marinated the wings with prawn paste for two days, than coat with flours to bake, the result was fantastic, very flavourful and crispy!

honey_bun
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried this recipe some time ago. boy! it was very good and healthy also. i never like my girls to buy from KFC, so i always deep-fried chix wings at home. now i've found a better alternative to it. thanks zurynee.
honeylemon
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sure must try!

Can this be done to fried wontan, prawns etc....DH & DS love fried stuff, it will be most ideal to do all fried stuff in this manner :lol:

"It's not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it's because we do not dare that they are difficult" Seneca
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeylemon wrote:
Wow, sure must try!

Can this be done to fried wontan, prawns etc....DH & DS love fried stuff, it will be most ideal to do all fried stuff in this manner :lol:

Hi Shirley,

For wantons, you may want to brush the skin with oil before baking them for extra crispiness. I have yet to try with prawns, but why not give that a shot ;)

Zu
jeslin
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried baked chicken wings yesterday.It turned out good but some parts of chickens are still white .I followed connie method n spread some margarine on the chickens .It turned out like fried chicken .Tks connie sharing tips .
Helena
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zurynee I tried it at last as I love chicken wings but hated the cleaning up, so hardly have chicken wings. And dh doesn't fancy food that is deep fried and after tasting this tonight, he says he doesnt mind eating this often!!! Tks very much for sharing the recipe. I just rubbed in salt and five spice powder and then coated it with rice flour and grilled. No pics cause it finishes real fast !!!!!!!
purplegirl
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zu,

I baked this wings couple of days ago for dinner. Unfortunately it didn
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had this for dinner, used normal baking tray as I don't like the washing up part when using the rack. Tray is wrapped with foil and greased, was worried the skin will skin but luckily, only minimal.

Baked at 200C for 20 mins but still white so I up temp. to 220C and baked for another 20 mins. Slightly white at some portion but the family is too hungry to wait so we just ate it :lol:

I used curry powder instead but unfortunately, I didn't add enough and the whole wing taste quite bland. Another unfortunate thing is, my oven can only bake FOUR wings at a time so I may not attempt this again as it's too time consuming, else I can only bake 4 (four in the family including maid so one person can only have 1 each).

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you need to use chicken wings that are a little bit on the plump side. Kampong chicken may be too skinny.

mine was slightly oily because the wings I used were a little fat. so during high heat grilling, the oil under the skin melted and gives the wings that nice crispy look.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohoh... I think I know what happened now. I actually removed the fats prior to coating with mixed flour :roll:

I only know whole chicken has kampong and normal chicken, didn't know frozen wings has different kinds?? How to tell them apart?
jollyminnie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tot of giving Zurynee's oven baked chicken wings a shot. But my Cornell Oven only have the following function: BROIL, SLOW COOK, ROTISSORIE, ROAST, BAKE. Can someone help me? Which function should i choose? izzit Roast? Thanks in advance.
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belinda wrote:
Tot of giving Zurynee's oven baked chicken wings a shot. But my Cornell Oven only have the following function: BROIL, SLOW COOK, ROTISSORIE, ROAST, BAKE. Can someone help me? Which function should i choose? izzit Roast? Thanks in advance.

You can try roast or bake. But do try with roast function first.
jollyminnie
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zu, will give it a try.
criz
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ALL. I'm newbie here. Happened to came across this forum and love every topics that I had chance to read it. Wink

But I need advice on this recipe Embarassed hope someone can advice me.
I tried yesterday and it turnout great and fuss free, thanks...it very crispy and look like fried but hubby said I didn't marinate enough as the fresh doesn't pickup the taste. May I know is it need to "rest 1st" after marinate? I put it into the oven wire rack after I coated it. Did I miss any step? Pls advice, thank you.

Regards
Criz
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi criz

you may want to wet the wings first then marinate it with 5 spiced powder. so the flavours will cling to the wings. You do not need to rest for long.

this recipe works with other seasoning too. If you have a favourite recipe of marinating the wings, go ahead and try it. Then coat it with plain flour or rice flour, then grilled it.

have fun and thank you for joining us..we love to eat and watch others cook too! Razz

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Quick & Easy All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: