Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
yogurt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluelove76
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: yogurt Reply with quote

HI..
anyone can share how to make yogurt (not using yogurt machine)?

many txx Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean the Indian type? or the western type?

Chef Devagi Shamugan has a recipe that teaches you how to make traditional Yoghurt. I need to ask her for permission if I were to share the recipe here.

The indian yoghurt does not need the yoghurt machine. And its not cold like ice cream. Its usually used in cooking.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
bluelove76
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Gina..
Actually i prefer the western one... (cold type).. It's more like dessert...
slurp
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tot yoghurt is basically add bacteria culture into the milk and kept in warm place for about 10hrs or so?

what's the differences between indian & western yoghurt?
indian lassi is basically yoghurt blended with water

i have been using EASIYO yoghurt maker, idiot-proof system Mr. Green
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EASIYO thingy is the one sold at PH rite?

no moving parts, no electricity required rite?

but hows the effort and expense compared to buying off the shelf.
slurp
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES
YES
forgot the price of the yoghurt, think it shuld be arodun $25
a pack of premix that makes 1kg of yoghurt cost around $4 ~ $5
so you can workout the expense from here .....

usage instructions
- mix cold water to premix in supplied maker jar
- pour boiling water into yoghurt maker
- keep jar in maker for about 10hrs
- store in fridge after that

the yoghurt is somehow thicker then those available off-the-shelves so it might not be the liking of some
misheru
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it' s available anywhere outside of Japan but here you can get a kind of yourt culture called Caspian yogurt. Supposedly some researcher went somewhere in the Baltic States and smuggled some of this into the country. Supposedly you can get it for free if you write in and it is not supposed to be sold anywhere for money. I don't know about all that 'caue I got mine from a friend and I have given some to several other friends. All I do is add milk to about a cup of yogurt that is already made and I leave it out on the counter. No expensive machines or bacteria. it isn't even sour! It's great!

I thought it might die in winter when it is so cold or because I have had it fo rmore almost a year now, but it seems to be doing fine. Other people's yogurt has died that's why I wonder when mine is next. But so far it is doing fine. It is not as elastic (neba neba in Jpnz) as it once was but it is still making a good healthy breakfast for me.

It was all the rage a while ago and they supposedly even published special cookbooks or mooks on how to use up all the excess yogurt.

Anybody know anything about this? I would love to know more and how I can ensure that I don't kill it!

Michelle
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: yogurt Reply with quote

bluelove76 wrote:
HI..

many txx Very Happy

Hi , i make yogurt every second day cos it goes with most our north indian meals Smile i never use the supermarket ones feel they are more of sweet type anyway this is how i do it .
Heat up milk (if using UHT or any full cream milk from packet) the milk should not be very hot just more than luke warm if one cup use abt full tsp of old yougurt and mix it gently keep it covered in a warm place for atleast 8 hrs , you must have a starter dont use the supermarket types i find the yougurt gets very jelly like with them most indian shops sells it in small packets you can begin using that its called Tiaru
If you want to use powder milk also can full cream type if instant one will need more method is the same , hope i am of some help Smile
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee,

THis is the kind of yoghurt that goes into Lassi and for marinating right?
bluelove76
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: yogurt Reply with quote

Hi beesidhu,
tx u so much. Btw, will it become liquid form or creamy type? Can i put fruits to add some flavour?

tx u

quote="beesidhu"]
bluelove76 wrote:
HI..

many txx Very Happy

Hi , i make yogurt every second day cos it goes with most our north indian meals Smile i never use the supermarket ones feel they are more of sweet type anyway this is how i do it .
Heat up milk (if using UHT or any full cream milk from packet) the milk should not be very hot just more than luke warm if one cup use abt full tsp of old yougurt and mix it gently keep it covered in a warm place for atleast 8 hrs , you must have a starter dont use the supermarket types i find the yougurt gets very jelly like with them most indian shops sells it in small packets you can begin using that its called Tiaru
If you want to use powder milk also can full cream type if instant one will need more method is the same , hope i am of some help Smile[/quote]
cete
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I usually made my yoghurt by boiling a litre of fresh milk , cool the milk to lukewarm and them pour into a ceramic container. Gently stir in 2 tabsp of yogurt ( i use sunglo & sometimes nutrigen - plain with live culture ) Cover it with a lid & leave undisturbed for 8 to 10 hrs depending on the weather. I always made them at night and it will set like tofu-fah in the morning. Once set , refrigerate it to stop the bacteria from multiplying or it will be too sour. I eat my plain but my children always add honey, raisin & some cut fruit into the yogurt. It is advisabe not to disturb the yogurt during the fermenting process. U get creamier yogurt using full cream milk, I use 50% full cream & 50% low fat.
misheru
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I've heard about using existing yogurt to start a new batch. I've also heard that milk with a higher fat content is preferred. Thank you for confirming that.

Have found that if I use nuts and dried fruit I don't need to use a sweetener. If I use fresh fruit like kiwi or bananas, I like something sweet to be added.

I have mixed it with milk and canned mangoes for a nice cool drink! yummy!

Michelle
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: yogurt Reply with quote

bluelove76 wrote:
Hi beesidhu,
tx u so much. Btw, will it become liquid form or creamy type? Can i put fruits to add some flavour?

tx u

quote="beesidhu"]
bluelove76 wrote:
HI..

many txx Very Happy

If you want to use powder milk also can full cream type if instant one will need more method is the same , hope i am of some help Smile
[/quote]

No probs ...it will be thick and creamy ..if u like liquid type after it has set ....whisk it ....and you will have liquid type ...i have never added any fruits into it while setting it only do that afterwards once it has set ...once its done leave in the fridge and usually add nuts or fruits whenever wanna have it Smile it will look like tau fu fa in texture like soft jelly but firm ...give it a try ..
rachelokh
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cete wrote:
Hi

I usually made my yoghurt by boiling a litre of fresh milk , cool the milk to lukewarm and them pour into a ceramic container. Gently stir in 2 tabsp of yogurt ( i use sunglo & sometimes nutrigen - plain with live culture ) Cover it with a lid & leave undisturbed for 8 to 10 hrs depending on the weather. I always made them at night and it will set like tofu-fah in the morning. Once set , refrigerate it to stop the bacteria from multiplying or it will be too sour. I eat my plain but my children always add honey, raisin & some cut fruit into the yogurt. It is advisabe not to disturb the yogurt during the fermenting process. U get creamier yogurt using full cream milk, I use 50% full cream & 50% low fat.

i tried using your method and had left it for 9 hours already and it is still in runny liquid form. should i leave it out for longer time? or should put in the refrigerator now? or am i already unsuccessful in this?
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachelokh wrote:
cete wrote:
Hi

i tried using your method and had left it for 9 hours already and it is still in runny liquid form. should i leave it out for longer time? or should put in the refrigerator now? or am i already unsuccessful in this?

hi ...think its no use now too many hrs ...its not going to set ....give another try ...
cete
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachelokh,

Sorry for the late reply. It shud not be runny after 9 hrs. Did u disturb yr yogurt ? Cud be yr starter yogurt - the live bacteria might not be active anymore ? U must also cool yr boiled milk till lukewarm. Do try again. When it set like tofu-fah, there will be some liquid on the surface. I normally pour out the water. Hope u hv more success in yr next attempt.
rachelokh
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its alright! thanks for the reply. well, afteri leave it till 11 hours, it was slightly set and still bout 30% watery, i just chuck it into the fridge :twisted: when i tried it the next day, it does taste like yogurt but texture wise it was pretty watery...like mixing yoghurt and milk. i will definitely try it again hopefully with much more success.

btw, want to know how can i store it in the fridge before it spoils? thanks!
Bread
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought the Easiyo yogurt but didn't buy the container.
can anyone teach me how to make yogurt?
Alannia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: yogurt Reply with quote

beesidhu wrote:
most indian shops sells it in small packets you can begin using that its called Tiaru

Beesidhu, may I know how to make tairu itself? If we buy the tairu from the Indian shop and make yoghurt like you said, is the end result tairu itself?
cete
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia

You can get very creamy yogurt from the brand Super Yogurt. You can get it at Giant. I find it far more superior than most of the local brand.
cete
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops Alannia

I meant you can make very creamy yogurt using Super Yogurt. So far my yogurt always set nicely.
Alannia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cete. Will look for it in Giant. Haven't noticed it before Embarassed

I still have 1 tub of Sunglo yoghurt in the fridge. Will have to finish it first before getting the Super Yoghurt.

Btw, which Giant did you see it at?
cete
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia

I got mine from Giant USJ. I used to use Sunglo till a friend told me abt Super Yogurt. I used 500 ml lukewarm fresh milk, 2 tabsp full cream milk powder and 1 tabsp Super Yogurt and always very happy with the result.
Don't be tempted to use too much yogurt.
Alannia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks, Cete. Will look for it at the Giant USJ. I looked at the one in Atria but they do not have it.
Simplybest
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask LTan ( Lena ) - she has been very successful with her joghurt using only a thermo flask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: