Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Potted Shrimps [basic recipe & pics]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Seafood
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porquinho
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Potted Shrimps [basic recipe & pics] Reply with quote

basic recipe for potted shrimps to go with my pics in the daily bread thread

here's a version by Rick Stein, a UK chef. i don't use ingredients listed in this recipe 'cause i like to use whatever i have at the moment.

btw, if you're on a diet this simple indulgence is not recommended Smile

if brown shrimps are not available you may swap them with small prawns or crayfish tails. both are great substitutes.

------------------
100g butter
2 blades of mace
pinch of cayenne pepper
freshly grated nutmeg
570ml peeled brown shrimps
6tbsp clarified butter

1. Put the butter, mace, cayenne pepper and a little grated nutmeg into a medium-sized pan and leave to melt over a gentle heat.

2. Add the peeled shrimps and stir over the heat for a couple of minutes until they have heated through, but don't let the mixture boil.

3. Remove the mace and divide the shrimps and butter between 6 small ramekins. Level the tops and then leave them to set in the fridge.

4. Spoon over a thin layer of clarified butter and leave to set once more. Serve with plenty of brown toast or crusty brown bread.

---------------------recipe by Rick Stein----------------------------

photos by me

i like to use french butter but this thing is actually more british than french. once the butter is set you spread the pot's contents onto your crusty country bread. and make sure no traces of butter are left behind! Smile love

yes i made this myself. it's so easy [i never bother with anything that's not "easy"] ...gently melt the butter in a saucepan then pour over the shrimps. you can add any fine herbs to the shrimps you like. here i have one plain and the other with fine spanish paprika powder, and snipped chives.

the butter

brown shrimps should look like this with shell intact. however, for this specific recipe they're peeled. [i didn't peel any, the moroccans did.]

Alannia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Porquinho,

This looks absolutely delightful. Would appreciate if you could elaborate on the ingredients you used at hand. Do you mean you interchange the shrimpss with crayfish tails, prawns or do yo mean you interchange the spices/herbs?

If it's the spices/ herbs, maybe you can suggest a few combinations. Fresh mace is definitely hard to get over here.

Thanks a lot.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia

Mace is sold in Singapore. You want? grin its the outer shell of nutmeg, dried and often sold as a herb. smells very good. it looks like wood shavings at first. easily overlooked unless you take a sniff at it.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
honeylemon
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Alannia

Mace is sold in Singapore. You want? grin its the outer shell of nutmeg, dried and often sold as a herb. smells very good. it looks like wood shavings at first. easily overlooked unless you take a sniff at it.

Gina, can we find it on the spices shelf in cold storage. I really would like to try this, so tempting yummy

What is clarified butter see stars so "chim"? How many shrimps are there in 570ml? see stars Embarassed

"It's not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it's because we do not dare that they are difficult" Seneca
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honeylemon,

If I am not mistaken, clarified butter is normal butter that is melted & the oil scooped out, leaving the whitish 'milk' part.

Gina, I don't think I want it. 1 whole bottle & I just use once. Don't know what else to use it for. Furthermore, family members are not too keen on prawns. Can only take a litle at a time. Too much will cause allergy. So for big prawns, only 1 each while small prawns, maybe 3 - 4.
nora
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeylemon wrote:
What is clarified butter see stars so "chim"? How many shrimps are there in 570ml? see stars Embarassed

honeylemon

Clarified butter is ghee in local context. Cheeky grin
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia

I can give u a handful. like 50g of it. You can use mace for other recipes..not just for this.

I use it as a marinate for roast meats. especially lamb.

you would treat mace like grounded nutmeg for use in cakes or cookies. yummy Pauline has many recipes using Mace. I'll ask her for it.

here's a link of what it is use for
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Mace/detail.aspx

I came to know about it when I was still with Food and Travel magazine. Was clearing out the pantry and found a big bag of Mace..so sweet smelling.. love u

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
nora
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina

Where di you buy your mace? You know, this is the 1st time I heard the word "mace" as in spice rather than the 1 a drum major will use to twirl around.

If you want to know how it looks like:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Myri_fra.html
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Mace Reply with quote

You can get mace at Mustafa. grin
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gina. Yes, I would like to have some.
Porquinho
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladies, my apologies! Very Happy back to land of the living now. sitting in the backyard chillin' with my coffee enjoying the last rays of august.

traditionally mace is used in this recipe. nutmeg [strongly recommended to grate it freshly everytime] is a fine replacement.

i have some fresh herbs in the garden so i just snip some finely. i use paprika powder [and/or saffron] 'cause i have them at hand. but any herbs you like should do nicely of course.

the rest everyone has helped shedding light on. thanks!

yummy bom appetit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Seafood All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: