Joined: 15 Sep 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
|Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 am Post subject: Pumpkin Paste Tong Shui (recipe and pic)
|I have been wanting to make this for a LONG time but couldn't find the right recipe. I love this tong shui but not so easy to find nowadays.
This is my own version from trial and error.
- 500g pumpkin
- apx. 4 cups of water
- 2-4 pcs of pandan leaves (adjust to your own preference)
- 80-100g* rock sugar (adjust to your own preference)
- some sliced ginger or ginger powder
To thicken: Combine 2T potato starch + 4T water
- Remove skin from pumpkin. Slice into cubes. Steam it until soft (I used microwavable steamer dish and within 5 mins on HIGH, it is ready). Put into blender to make into puree.
- Boil water with rock sugar and pandan leaves, till sugar dissolves. If you are using fresh ginger, add into it as well.
- Slowly add pumpkin puree into the water. Stir gently over low fire. If using ginger powder, add in here (amount according to your taste). Stir to dissolve.
- Let it simmer for a while before slowly adding in the thickening. Again, sitr gently and let it simmer for a while.
- Serve hot.