Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chinese Steamed Cakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Appetizers & Starters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Chinese Steamed Cakes Reply with quote

Basically an old recipe my mom had. Handed me down from my late granny she says. But I modified it to use lesser flour so its not so dense in texture. Its more spongey like a baked sponge cake. Its light and fluffier and minus all the chemicals.

It sinks a little as I didn't use baking powder or ice cream soda which was the recipe that was floating in the NET these days.

Makes 12 steamed cakes
Ingredients
4 eggs
220g fine sugar (Original recipe uses 250g of sugar!)
80g Blue Jacket's All Purpose Flour

Method
1. Add eggs and sugar into the mixer and whip at high speed* till it triples in volume.
*Depending on the mixer you use, this can take anything from 2 mins to 5 mins.
As I am using KitchenAid Mixer (Artisan model), it whips up at 2 minutes MAX.

2. Once you have a triple volumed whipped eggs, turn off the mixer and sift in flour and slowly fold in till its evenly mixed.

3. Pour batter into cupcake liners** and steam over high heat for 25 minutes.
4. Remove to cool, serve at room temperature.

** Note that not all cupcake liners can be use for steaming. If you do not wish to use cupcake liners, you can use a large bowl or even a Japanese Tea Cup.

To use a tea cup, steam the empty cup in the steamer for 5 minutes.
Then pour the batter into the empty cup to steam.
This helps the steamed cake to be removed easily after its steamed/cooked. Ma told me this trick years ago.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Appetizers & Starters All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: