Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Hakka Red Rice Wine(rec n pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Hakka Red Rice Wine(rec n pic) Reply with quote

This is the recipe I use for teaching.

Hakka Red Rice Wine

Ingredients:
(Yields 750ml of wine)

1 kg white glutinous Rice
1 pc wine yeast (about 18g)
50 g red yeast powder

Method
1. Wash rice, drain. And cook in a rice cooker with adequate water.
Leave it cool completely.
2. Pound the wine yeast into powder and mix with red yeast powder. Mix yeast mixture into cooled rice.
3. Place rice in a glass jar or earthenware pot. Press down firmly to push the rice to the bottom of the jar/pot
4. Place a clean towel on top and cover the pot or jar. Store in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight and leave to stand, undisturbed, for at least seven days.
5. After that, stir the rice and wine, cover and leave to stand for another 14 days.
6. Harvest wine by sieving the rice through a muslin cloth.
7. Keep wine in a glass bottle. Store rice dregs in the fridge.

WINE NOTES:
Harvesting the wine
After seven days, you should be able to see wine at the bottom of the jar. The rice should be already mushy, and look pinkish red. The first yield of wine after seven days is sweet and slightly alcoholic.

If you leave it covered for another 14 days, making it a total of 21 days, the alcohol content increases, getting better with age. To get a clearer wine, you need to sieve out the rice residue or dregs. The rice residue should be stored in a glass jar and kept covered and in the fridge for cooking.

Keep the wine in the fridge as well to stop further fermentation. It should be a nice pink hue and clear.

Important Notes:
Do not place the jar or pot near the window or direct sunlight
Do not mix the rice soon after it

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: