Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Make your own Soft Butter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvzbaking
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi limaupurut (love that name Very Happy )
I guess as with everything, we just have to make a choice which of the opposing views out there are to be believed.

For my family personally, we have consciously chosen not to use canola oil after receiving an email that seemed to have circulated the world about its origins and the alleged associated health issues it might bring.

My niece has eczema and the implied problems that canola oil could have on skin irritations was the deciding factor for us to stop consuming canola oil just to see if it helps her. For the past 12 months or so, we have not used that oil in any cooking and have tried to not buy any prepared/processed foods that state 'vegetable' oil in its ingredient list as that almost always would mean canola oil as it is the cheapest oil in the market (at least from what I can see on the supermarket shelves here). We never did eat a lot of processed junk food to start with anyway but one of our staples was spreads containing canola oil, or worse still, canola oil spread!! (used such spreads everyday with bread) and we did buy canned foods without caring what oils were used.

Anyhow, we've very slowly noticed improvements in her skin, mainly its structure - poor girl's skin was so sensitive, a firm scratch used to break the skin surface but it seems to not be so bad now. She still scratches but her skin seems to be holding up so much better, less broken skin.

Now I don't know if she is just growing out of the condition or if it was really the canola oil that caused the skin weakness. Or perhaps it was also due to the fact that we recently have also totally stopped consuming any of those preserved veges from China (also due to some really scary newspaper reports on dangerous chemicals used in the preservation processes, so much so that even the people in Sichuan won't eat their own preserved products, etc) but of course, that is another subject altogether.

Anyway, we are still happy with our decision not to consume canola oil, so we will stick with it.

Here are only a few of the hundreds of articles you can get on the web - have a read of them and come to your own decision... Very Happy

articles against canola oil
http://www.breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm
http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/is-canola-oil-healthy
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/conola.html
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/canola.htm

article pro canola oil
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=102049&catId=100228&tid=100008&p=1&title=Dispelling+canola+oil+myths
http://www.canola-council.org/canola_oil_the_truth.aspx
________
YZ250
________
Title insurance dicussion

Last edited by luvzbaking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
limaupurut
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi luvzbaking, I dream of getting fresh limaupurut in the US, hence the nickname. Wink

Sorry to hear about your niece's eczema but happy to know it's under control. Have you also checked the house hold products and home environment? Apparently detergents and regular cleaning products and even carpet and dust mites can also trigger a bad rash. A friend of mine whose son has eczema has switched to all organic products and tore out the carpet in her home. Seems to help.

Thanks so much for that wealth of info. After writing to you yesterday I did some reading on the web as well. As you said, a host of sites with their pros and cons. Reading all of them makes the brain boggle! But it never hurts to be more aware of what we ingest, right? Better informed than ignorant.

100% agree with you on those imports from China though. With their slack govt regulations, I shudder to think what's going on in their factories.
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this recipe! Thanks for sharing S_ter, now we can stop buying margarine and have this healthy option! Thanks again!
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Reena. I'd learnt it from an Ozzie friend but I tweaked her recipe using 100% groundnut oil (there's only one brand available here) instead of olive oil as I do not like the flavour.
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundnut oil ie peanut oil?
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Peanut = the nut within. Groundnut = the whole thingy including the shell. Don't ask me why but English is a weird language so how?

Many years ago, a dietician at a local hospital told me that this oil is a mono saturated oil and has a very high flash point which is perfect for Chinese high-heat stir fry. Hope this helps.
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this twice, in small amount of 50g butter and 10ml oil. 1st time I used sunflower oil, today I made it with olive oil. Don't know if the olive oil will be too overwhelming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: